(Booking North America)
CAPTAIN BLACK BIG BAND - VIEW CBBB PRESS KIT HERE
O.E. TRIO (with Luques Curtis/Mark Whitfield, Jr. -OR- Buster Williams/Ralph Peterson)
O.E. QUARTET (with Luques Curtis, Mark Whitfield, Jr., and either Kurt Rosenwinkel or Kevin Eubanks)
O.E. SEXTET (with Gene Jackson- drums, Ben Wolfe- bass, JD Allen- saxophone, Bill McHenry- saxophone, Josh Evans- trumpet)
AVAILABLE FOR CLINICS, WORKSHOPS, AND GUEST ARTIST APPEARANCES
JUN 6-9, 2019: NEW YORK, NY / Smoke
JUN 13, 2019: PHILADELPHIA, PA / Chris’s Jazz Cafe [Captain Black Big Band]
JUN 14, 2019: CLEVELAND, OH / TBA
JUN 15, 2019: AKRON, OH / TBA
JUN 16,2 019: DETROIT, MI / TBA
JUN 20, 2019: PHILADELPHIA, PA / Chris’s Jazz Cafe [Captain Black Big Band]
JUN 22, 2019: PITTSBURGH, PA / Pittsburgh Jazz Festival [Captain Black Big Band]
JUL 18, 2019: PHILADELPHIA, PA / Chris’s Jazz Cafe [Captain Black Big Band]
AUG 21-27, 2019: MEXICO / TBA [Orrin Evans Trio]
AUG 29-SEP 1, 2019: NEW YORK, NY / TBA
SEP 5, 2019: TBA
SEP 6, 2019: TBA
SEP 7, 2019: TBA
SEP 8, 2019: TBA
OCT 7, 2019: SAN JOSE, CA / TBA
OCT 8, 2019: SAN FRANCISCO, CA / TBA
OCT 9, 2019: SAN FRANCISCO, CA / TBA
OCT 10, 2019: PORTLAND, WA / TBA
OCT 11, 2019: SEATTLE, WA / TBA
OCT 12, 2019: DENVER, CO / TBA
MAR 13, 2020: CHICAGO, IL / TBA
MAR 14, 2020: CHICAGO, IL / TBA
MAY 20-21, 2020: ST. LOUIS, MO / TBA
For more than two decades, Orrin Evans has made an art form of the unexpected. With more than 25 albums to his credit without ever relying on the support of a major label, Evans has become the model of a fiercely independent artist who’s made a habit of rattling the jazz world’s confining cages. That determination has paid off in accolades like topping the “Rising Star Pianist” category in the 2018 DownBeat Critics Poll.
As a daring pianist, Evans combines raw-edged vigor and left-field nuance into a sound wholly his own. As an adventurous composer he traverses stylistic boundaries with abandon, drawing on full-throttle swing, deep rooted blues, expressive soul or bracing excursions into the avant-garde. As an audacious bandleader, he delights in daring fellow musicians to take bold risks, whether in mutable small group settings or his raucous Captain Black Big Band. As an inventive collaborator, his projects range from the nerve-rattling collective trio Tarbaby to the latest twist in his never predictable story, becoming the first new member to join The Bad Plus in the band’s nearly 20-year history.
Evans’ broad-minded, provocative approach has led to a stunning variety of collaborations with a who’s-who of modern jazz including Nicholas Payton, Sean Jones, Oliver Lake, JD Allen, Christian McBride, Eric Revis, Buster Williams, Karriem Riggins, Bill Stewart, Nasheet Waits, Kevin Eubanks and Kurt Rosenwinkel, among countless others.
In 2018 Evans relaunched his Imani Records label with a newfound focus on projects by young, innovative musicians, beginning with albums by saxophonist Caleb Wheeler Curtis and bassist Jonathan Michel. He’s also produced recordings by JD Walter, Denise King, Joanna Pascale, Sharel Cassity, and Eric Revis.
Evans pays homage to his mentors and influences while passing the torch to new generations. He’s recently performed concerts paying homage to the late Geri Allen alongside drummer Terri Lyne Carrington and a celebration of the centennial of Thelonious Monk at Duke University, along with curating concert series at Philly’s South and New York’s Smoke. As an educator he directed the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts’ Jazz Standards and taught at Connecticut’s Litchfield Jazz Camp.
CAPTAIN BLACK BIG BAND - “PRESENCE” (GRAMMY-NOMINATED):
- All About Jazz reviewed the album.
- BBC Music Magazine featured Orrin’s album as the lead review in their January 2019 issue.
- Columbia Daily Tribune reviewed the album in a piece on the club.
- DownBeat reviewed the album in the November Hot Box. They also ran their annual Critic’s Poll and Orrin won the Rising Star Piano category. The review is online now. Additionally, they included Orrin in their GRAMMY® post.
- The Guardian reviewed the album.
- Hot House is reviewed the album for their January issue and including Orrin’s photo on the cover of the magazine.
- Jazz Monthly posted the press release announcing the album.
- Minneapolis Star Tribune mentioned Orrin in their GRAMMY® article.
** Musica Jazz reviewed the album.
- New York City Jazz Record reviewed the album in their September issue.
- New York Music Daily previewed Orrin’s NYC release show.
- Relix reviewed album
- Revive-Music posted about Orrin’s New York Times article.
- Rifftides confirmed an album review; run date tbd.
- San Juan Weekly reviewed the album.
- Soul and Jazz included “Trams” on their playlists.
- Stereogum included the album in their October “Ugly Beauty” lineup.
- Taint Radio is included songs from the album in their playlists.
- WRTI made the album their “Jazz Album of the Week."